It can be fun for a person that is starting college. Starting college can be fun because the person is in a new environment. The environment is different for one who is starting because the person has to take on a more mature responsibility than he or she would have had taken on while in high school. Although starting college is fun, there are 3 roles a student can take on in order to be successful while in college.
After getting through the 2012 school year, I have come to the conclusion that in order for a student to be successful while in college, he or she has to do the following: take a College Career Success Skills to class his or her freshman year, he or she has to feel the professor out, and the student has to also take down notes.
Prices start at $12
Prices start at $11
Prices start at $10
Taking a College Career Success Skills course is the best class that 1st-time freshmen can take while in college. It is the best class because the student finishes the course, knowing that he or she is going to be successful while majoring in the career of his or her choice. The course allows the student to explore a major and write a paper about it. This is because many students enter college not knowing what he or she wants to major in.
The student also learns if he or she is capable of being successful in the field by taking a personality test. This test determines if the student’s personality matches the field. If the student passes the test, then he or she has found a field and has also finished, knowing that he or she is going to be successful while studying in that field. For example: If bob was a 1st-time freshman and he did not know what major he would be successful in studying, taken this course would have given him the answer because he would have had found the career that he knows he is good in. So, CCSS is the best course for a student who is trying to find a major to be a pro at while in college.
When the student feels the professor out, this is another way of being successful while in college. This is because in order to past a course, the student has to think of the way the professor would think. The student has to work a math problem out or write a sentence out the same way his or her professor would because that is what one who goes to school would call “thinking like the professor.” When a student receives a graded paper, the student is supposed too get up and ask him or her “What did I do wrong? What did this comment mean?”
This way, the student has all the information he or she needs to pass the course. If the student was told to work on subject-verb agreement, this would be the main thing that the student would look out for while writing because this was his or her weakest point. This way, the student then thinks just like the professor by writing out sentences like him or her.
Good note-taking skills are another great way to be successful while in college. It is another great way because every piece of note counts. Every piece of note counts because everything that was written down over the week will be on the test. A student that takes down notes all week will most likely say “oh, I remember this” when it is time to test because basically it was the test the student was writing out the whole time. If a student has written down all of chapter 6, he or she is supposed to be familiar with the test after taken down notes all week. Therefore, writing notes is another quality of a student being successful while he or she is in college.
What qualities in a student cause him or her to be successful while in college? Many colleges are wondering about their qualities. It takes one from experience to answer such a question. After surviving the spring 2012 semester, my following qualities were: taking a CCSS course to figure out what would I be successful at studying in, feeling out the professors so we both can cooperate like teacher-student, and writing down everything the teacher wrote on the board. Those are the qualities I would recommend to any student that is asking “what qualities in a student cause him or her to be successful in college?”
Successful means accomplishing or achieving an aim or a goal, a purpose. A College is an educational institution that can gain knowledge by students. Students can further their education at college after graduated from high school or secondary school. The student is the one who is studying at a school or a college, and student can also be defined as a learner. A college student can take any courses that they are interested in a college or university. Students who choose to further their study in college is the most important steps to being a success, and successful college student is starting from choosing the correct subject, which is the student wanted or interested in the subject.
But a lot of the students are studying the subject that their parents want them to study, but not the subject that they want. Choose the correct subject is the first step of being a success, so you must fight for it because you are allowed to decide your future. There are a lot of types of students in the college, different types of students have different kinds of goals or aims.
But most of the students’ goal is to be a successful college student. To be a successful college student is not that easy, some of the students think that get good results in their academics is consider a successful student., but this idea is definitely wrong. A successful college student does not mean the smartest in the class, the best result in academic student, the word “success” means success in various aspects.
A successful student must set realistic goals and targets to motivate themselves. Although goals must be challenging but must be realistic, do not set the goals which are impossible to achieve. Goals should be measurable and specific, better to include a deadline for accomplishment. Short-term goals or small goals is easy to complete and can be accomplished quickly. Short-term goals can be set by monthly, weekly, or even tough daily, such as hand in an assignment on time, do extra exercise, or master in a new chapter and etc. However, a student must have the act and behavior as a student in college.
At college, some of the students attend to class late or refuse to attend class, especially the subject which cannot forbid students to the final exam. The successful student must attend every class on time unless having a forgivable reason. Next, a good student should be sitting in front of the class, listen to every word from the lecturer, and try to understand it.
Students should not be afraid to ask when don’t understand something if the student is having difficulty on study can always take advantage of the tutoring session, it is useful and beneficial to the student. Besides, prepare before the class started and take the note down when the lecturer is explaining, then review after class, do more than just listened is one of the tips to become successful.
Spend around 30-45minutes to review all the notes which have been taken in the class, and try to understand concepts instead of memorizing all the details, use the shortcut learning skill in the study, because the successful student must work smart but not work hard. And then, hand in all the work given by the lecturer on time, because the successful student will take responsibility for their education.
They don’t even waste a minute by doing nothing. To become a successful college student must learn on time management. Properly manage the time between study and also a fun time. Set a weekly schedule which contains study time, fun time, sport time, and also family time. Although sometimes we have not enough time for us to do what we want to do, we must give a little time for our family, even though a period of dinner time. The study is very important to a student, but the overstudy will lead to a worse situation. In fact, don’t forget to relax from the challenging study, take a short break between study sections, and have a good rest for further journey.
Furthermore, good looking is not the most, but good dressing is the must. The student must have the look of a student, not to wear like a hoodlum, they should always keep ourselves neat and clean. Have at least a one-time bath every day to keep ourselves clean, and wash and change the clothes every day, do not wear the same cloth in two days.
Otherwise, keep ourselves healthy is also one of the steps to be a successful college student. The successful student should always keep their energy at a high level, for instance, have 8 hours sleeping time for every day, keep doing exercise every day or at least 4 days in a week. Don’t always skip a meal with the reason busy or no time to eat, eat three meals a day is the must and eat well with healthy food but not fast foods. To maintain a healthy lifestyle, a successful student should always have a positive mind of thinking and stay free from drugs and also alcohol.
Drugs and alcohol will affect our brain and slowed our reaction, in the long-term, our brain will be damaged. Communication skill is the worse skills of a student nowadays, the student does not know how to communicate with each other, they communicate well with using online chatting, email or SMS, but not proper speaking with each other.
The successful student must be good in communication and social skills. To improve the skills, involve yourself in different kinds of activities, such as become a member of a club, join the community, and etc. Moreover, involve yourself in the camp can train your leadership, leadership is very important because he or she carries the risk of the whole group.
Besides that, friendship can also be created on the camp activities, all of the students will work together and help out each other to complete a mission given by a tutor. While they are completing the mission, the solving skill of student has been trained. Communication and participation skills will be improved when accomplishing a mission or an activity because they will discuss to solve the problem that faces them together.
Camping really brings a lot of advantages and it helps students to gain extra skills, create a large social network, which might lead the student to become successful. The good activities are good for us but must not involve yourself in illegal activities such as gambling, fighting, stealing and etc, it might get you into trouble. The study is good but not just concentrate on it only, try to have fun during college, but fun time and serious time must manage wisely, not too concentrate on study and left out community and time for fun. A suitable reward for the hard work of many nights are needed for a student to relax our stress and refresh our messy mind. Conclusion, tips to become successful college students have been mentioned above. Although no one is perfect, every student have to try their best to achieve their goal, which is to become a successful student.
Finally, a successful college student must have good behavior, even you are a talent, good behavior is very important because how you treat people, is the same way how people treat you back. The last tip for a student is to learn how to learn because a great education is one of the most important things in our life.
There are many ways to be successful in everything that you do. Specifically, being a college student is one thing that you should always want to be successful in. Some people think college is so hard and stressful, but it really isn’t if you just buckle down and focus. You may often wonder what you can do to focus on and not stress so much. In this essay, I am going to give you 9 simple steps that will help you in your endeavors to become a successful college student.
The first step is to be confident. For most people college is a new experience, this is your first transition into the real world. Your attitude often dictates your success in your class. You should always want to have a positive attitude going into new things, you may know very little about. Having a conquering spirit while in class always helps you be successful in class. Entering the class with confidence is a healthy way to start off your college journey.
The second thing you should do is take notes that are useful in all your classes because your notes will be helpful when studying for tests, quizzes, and even your midterms and final exams. As a college student, plenty of things run through your minds. By taking notes it will not only help you to remember valid points, but it’s also an essential key to memorizing lectures and discussions given in the class that day.
The third aspect is to organize your time. The organization is always vital because it will help you better in life. Organize goals by levels of importance. Use critical thinking when organizing your goals. The level of importance plays a vital role simply because you don’t want to put off the things that should take precedence over everything else. To be an effective college student and learner, you always should use organization and time management to complete assignments.
Fourth, get involved with extracurricular activities. One may say that they may not have time for activities such as sports or band or things like that but it has been said by a fellow student of mine that participating in extracurricular activities is helpful, because it takes your mind off the stresses of studying. Also, participating in extracurricular activities will help you communicate with fellow classmates or even alumni that have already participated in that particular course. Which takes us in to point number five.
Fifth, communication is one of the most important steps in being a successful college student. As a college student, you should always want to have a high level of communication with professors and classmates. You should be comfortable with speaking with your professors, so if you need extra help with anything the professors are there to offer you the help that is needed. Communication with fellow classmates is good to because if you’re absent from class you can simply just ask a student from your class what you missed.
Step six is no more procrastination!!!! Some students do well with working under pressure, many times students wait until the last minute to study or start on an assignment and that’s fine. Other students don’t work that well with pressure, like all students time should be set aside to complete one task at a time. Sometimes it is good to work on the easiest assignment first and then move on to the most challenging one later. Whatever you prefer you should not wait until the last minute. Starting early will give you time to do the work and then later go back and review your work, and STUDY.
The next step you should take is to intern. When you intern you are able to get hands-on training in the field that you are studying while in college. This helps because you are learning what you want to do for the rest of your life. You are also learning from trained professionals in that profession, which is always good because nobody knows your profession better than someone working in that field.
Now that you have done the basic steps, now you must study. Being strict in studying is beneficial because you have to have stability in your college life. Set aside time to study, think about the best ways for you to study. When is the best time for me to study with a clear mind? When am I free from distractions? Asking yourself these questions already shows that your main focal point is studying and to actually gain knowledge from what you study.
Finally, know your limits and your strengths. Most times people make you feel like having to drop a class is the worst thing in the world. You must set limits there is no way around that. If you have to get a tutor, don’t be afraid to ask for assistance. Sometimes a little assistance is needed to give you the extra push you need. Everybody needs help with something, asking for help doesn’t make you stupid. It simply shows that you want extra help to make you a stronger student.
In conclusion, to be a successful college student you should always have a positive mindset and apply it. Applying yourself and your positive mindset will help you become a successful student you should be.
Successful students exhibit a combination of successful attitudes and behaviors as well as intellectual capacity.
Successful students . . .
1. . . . are responsible and active. Successful students get involved in their studies, accept responsibility for their own education, and are active participants in it! Responsibility is the difference between leading and being led. Active classroom participation improves grades without increasing study time. You can sit there, act bored, daydream, or sleep. Or you can actively listen, think, question, and take notes like someone in charge of their learning experience.
2. . . . have educational goals. Successful students are motivated by what their goals represent in terms of career aspirations and life’s desires. Ask yourself these questions: What am I doing here? Is there some better place I could be? What does my presence here mean to me? Answers to these questions represent your “Hot Buttons” and are, without a doubt, the most important factors in your success as a college student.
3. . . . ask questions. Successful students ask questions to provide the quickest route between ignorance and knowledge. In addition to securing knowledge you seek, asking questions has at least two other extremely important benefits. Think about it. If you want something, go after it. Get the answer now, or fail a question later. There are no foolish questions, only foolish silence. It’s your choice.
4. . . . learn that a student and a professor make a team. Most instructors want exactly what you want: they would like for you to learn the material in their respective classes and earn a good grade. Successful students reflect well on the efforts of any teacher; if you have learned your material, the instructor takes some justifiable pride in teaching. Join forces with your instructor, they are not an enemy, you share the same interests, the same goals – in short, you’re teammates. Get to know your professor.
5. . . . don’t sit in the back. Successful students minimize classroom distractions that interfere with learning. Students who sit in the back cannot possibly be their professor’s teammate (see no. 4). Why do they expose themselves to the temptations of inactive classroom experiences and distractions of all the people between them and their instructors? Of course, we know they chose the back of the classroom because they seek invisibility or anonymity, both of which are antithetical to efficient and effective learning. If you are trying not to be part of the class, why, then, are you wasting your time?
6. . . . take good notes. Successful students take notes that are understandable and organized and review them often. Ask the questions now that are necessary to make your notes meaningful at some later time. A short review of your notes while the material is still fresh on your mind helps you learn more. The more you learn then, the less you’ll have to learn later and the less time it will take because you won’t have to include some deciphering time, also. The whole purpose of taking notes is to use them and use them often. The more you use them, the more they improve.
7. . . . understand that actions affect learning. Successful students know their personal behavior affect their feelings and emotions which in turn can affect learning. If you act in a certain way that normally produces particular feelings, you will begin to experience those feelings. Act like you’re bored, and you’ll become bored. Act like you’re uninterested, and you’ll become uninterested. So the next time you have trouble concentrating in the classroom, “act” like an interested person: lean forward, place your feet flat on the floor, maintain eye contact with the professor, nod occasionally, take notes, and ask questions.
8. . . . talk about what they’re learning. Successful students get to know something well enough that they can put it into words. Talking about something, with friends or classmates, is not only good for checking whether or not you know something, its a proven learning tool. So, next time you study, don’t do it silently. Talk about notes, problems, readings, etc. with friends, recite to a chair, organize an oral study group, pretend you’re teaching your peers. “Talk-learning” produces a whole host of memory traces that result in more learning.
9. . . . don’t cram for exams. Successful students know that divided periods of study are more effective than cram sessions, and they practice it You’ll learn more, remember more, and earn a higher grade by studying in four, one hour-a-night session for Friday’s exam than studying for four hours straight on Thursday night. Short, concentrated preparatory efforts are more efficient and rewarding than wasteful, inattentive, last moment marathons. Yet, so many students fail to learn this lesson and end up repeating it over and over again until it becomes a wasteful habit. Not too clever, huh?
10. . . . are good time managers. Successful students do not procrastinate. They have learned that time control is life control and have consciously chosen to be in control of their life. An elemental truth: you will either control time or be controlled by it! It’s your choice: you can lead or be led, establish control or relinquish control, steer your own course, or follow others. Procrastinators are good excuse-makers. Don’t make academics harder on yourself than it has to be. Stop procrastinating. And don’t wait until tomorrow to do it!
Success in life or in anything someone does comes through hard work and perseverance. During our lifetime we all learn from our experiences and education. Success is born from inside each one of us. Success is the desire of each one of us to be a better person and commit ourselves to the path that will take us there; to the place, our dreams call success. The key to success is in our hands, and failing or succeeding depends on us.
In today’s society having a college degree is very important to have a secure and well-paying job. Having a college degree alone won’t be any help if an individual isn’t prepared with the necessary skills the employers are looking for. Most employers these days are looking for highly accomplished college graduates with all the essential abilities to do their job.
The first step is making the decision to enroll in college. Before enrolling in university students should visit their preferred institutions to have an idea of which one they like better. Then we must first see what the institution’s requirements are. The requirements vary depending on the institution, however, most colleges require a high school diploma or a G.E.D. College registration can be easily done online. Some students have the opportunity to use non-profit organizations to specialize in college registration.
College orientation is another helpful tool in having a successful student practice. Orientation provide the opportunity to learn more about the school’s academic standards, regulations and policies, and attend special sessions to find out what academic and group support services are available, it also helps with questions about financial aid help and scholarships opportunities.
Once we are enrolled to a program in the desired institution, there are different aspects to follow that will determine how successful students are in college, such as: attending all classes, taking notes, doing homework, taking advantage of the extra credit, finding professor’s office hours, It can help students clarify and further understand the topics and lesson taught in classes.
This is a great time to ask any questions that you were not able to ask in class, managing time efficiently as well as being determined and focused, being motivated, having self-discipline and confidence in what we can accomplish. In addition and very importantly having a goal and perseverance through difficult times in the college experience is what makes each one of us a successful college student.
There are certain skills, and habits that scholars must develop to become successful college students. One of these is having a good and positive attitude; a student’s attitude towards class will demonstrate their success in getting good grades. Arriving class with the mentality of succeeding; it helps us keep focused and motivated. Attending class is also important; it ensures that we won’t miss out on anything. If a student doesn’t get the proper amount of learning a specific topic, they may have difficulty with the next homework or exam, which is why it is important to always be in class.
Taking notes is a great method to help remember the important things learned in class. It is nearly impossible for an individual to remember everything that was taught in class, jotting down some notes is always helpful. Doing homework is one of the most important aspects of becoming a successful student. Mainly because it helps students learn on their own and practice what they’ve learned. Most exams are based on the work studied, therefore not studying will lead to poor grades on the test and it will derive on poor GPA.
Although some colleges don’t consider GPA’s main requirement for graduation, the employer does consider this when making the decision of hiring an individual. Extra credit is another strategy that helps the student to be a successful ad it is designed to help them learn the material and do better on the exams. Successful students take advantage of extra credit opportunities when offered. It demonstrates that students care about their grades and are willing to work to improve them.
They often do the optional assignments that many students avoid. Sit in front of the class is significant for successful college students.This is an easy way to make sure that they will pay attention. Sit in the back student may be tempted to do other things, such as texting on your cell phone.
However, if students sit in the front where the professor will see them, student will be less likely to do these things. Sitting in front also makes it easier to ask questions and answer them. The professor is more likely to see students hand up if you are in the front than if you decide to sit way in the back Discipline in managing the time is an important factor that every good student must possess.
Postponing tasks, such as writing assignments, reading textbooks, etc., may negatively impact the ability of a student to achieve their goals. Successful students learn to plan ahead and how to use their free time efficiently. They break assignments down into manageable segments and create a balance between coursework, work time, and social time. They prefer to do homework rather than going out with friends every weekend. They also set deadlines and make school their main priorities.
In conclusion, I believe that college students should develop habits of always motivating themselves to attempt for excellence on a daily basis. to succeed in college, Working hard, dedication, and being persistent is the way that can lead to great success in college, career, and life. Following these guidelines will help to ensure a successful and fruitful educational career. And good jobs guaranteed!
Example #6 – Interesting ideas
Diligence: a good student see’s the path that must be taken and has the sense to follow it.
Discipline: a good student has the discipline to forgo the party and do the work that sets him or her apart from other students.
Intelligence: a good student has to be able to understand complex material and to build new mental pathways in order to use it.
Motivation: a good student needs to persist, and to do this he or she needs to be motivated.
Responsibility acts as an important quality of a successful student. An example of a responsible student would be someone who turns in their work on time. Another example of a responsible student would be someone who comes to school on time, therefore not missing anything lectures from being late to class. A final example of a responsible student is someone who takes responsibility for its actions.
The second quality of a successful student is respectfulness. An example of a respectful student is someone who treats others nicely by helping other students when they need help and doesn’t bully other students. Another example of a respectful student is someone who uses appropriate language and respects school property.
The third quality of a successful student is the willingness of a student to learn. An example of a student who is willing to learn is someone who studies when there is an upcoming test. Another example of a student who is willing to learn is someone who sets goals and asks questions to gain more knowledge.
- Accept Responsibility. You see yourself as primarily responsible for your outcomes and experiences.
- Are Self-Motivated. You find purpose in what you do by discovering personally meaningful goals and dreams.
- Master Self-Management. You plan and take action in pursuit of your goals and dreams.
- Are Interdependent. You build mutually supportive relationships that help you achieve your goals and dreams (while helping others do the same).
- Have Self-Awareness. You consciously think, believe, and behave in ways that keep you on course.
- Believe in Life-Long Learning. You look for lessons in all of your experiences.
- Have High EQ’s (Emotional Intelligence). You accept your emotions, but you manage them in support of your goals and dreams.
- Believe in Yourself. You see yourself as a capable, lovable, and unconditionally worthy human being.
Cite this page
This content was submitted by our community members and reviewed by Essayscollector Team. All content on this page is verified and owned by Essayscollector Team. All comments and user reviews are moderated by Essayscollector Team. In the case of any content-related problem, you can reach us through the report button.